From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Withdraw from Incubator or TLP status?
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 14:09:29 GMT
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 7:27 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> ...An Apache project can be retired to the Attic. [1] After this development could possibly
occur elsewhere,
> but there may be naming and trademark issues to consider....

That's what happened in 2010 to http://ibatis.apache.org/ which was
forked to mybatis.org - note the name change, required as the IBatis
trademark belonged to the ASF.

Nobody can prevent someone from forking an Apache project elsewhere,
but the trademarks of TLPs belong to the ASF, so that we can keep the
project alive if someone else wants to work on it.

In the case of IBatis, the Apache project moved to the Attic about the
same time, http://attic.apache.org/projects/ibatis.html - but Attic
projects can be restarted, so in general it makes sense for us to keep
the name.

-Bertrand