From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 04:49:40 GMT

by sending email to private-subscribe-EMAIL.ADDRESS=DOMAIN.COM@skywalking.apache.org

> > Not getting any response at all is not an indication of whether the list exist of
not, unfortunately.

> > Anyway… to the thread's discussion: every PPMC received an invitation (per Apache
template) that requested subscription to both dev and private ML. Reading the ASF guidelines
here: https://apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html#communication ; I interpret it as
they SHOULD be subscribed rather than MUST, and I'm curious as to whether how many of the
TLPs are actually enforcing this among their pmc, if any. It's an interesting discussion…
but I'm not entirely convinced it's an accurate shortcoming to whether the podling is ready
for graduation or not.

> I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is the proposed PMC
list accurate".

> The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need to be familiar
with what is expected of them. Governance activities are conducted on the PPMC private list.
If a PPMC member has not participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's
unclear that they belong on the PMC.

> Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of the discussion
of new committers has had only four or five participants, who are clearly involved in governance
of the project.

>From a peanut gallery: has the podling considered PMC == committers at
the graduation point?
The two lists look very close to each other.

Thanks,
Roman.