From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: A smaller IPMC
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2019 00:00:14 GMT
Hi -

I lean heavily towards #4.

> On Mar 7, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> It’s been suggested that the IPMC is too large, what do other IPMC members think might
be a way to address this?

> Please discuss and indicate +1 what you would think would help, you can vote for more
than one.

> Some suggestions:
> 1. Ask all inactive IPMC if they want to continue being on the IPMC and see who steps
down. Being inactive they are probably not following this list so we need to identify and
send each one email them personally.

+0

> 2. There were some questions around merit raised, remove all IPMC members who were not
on the initial proposal and who were voted in. Those left on the IPMC vote back in those who
are currently active.

-1000

> 3. Get rid of all IPMC members, and vote (with ASF members vote being binding - not sure
how else it could be done?) currently active ones back in.

-1000000

> 4. Do nothing as this is not actually a problem but instead address other underlying
issues. e.g. lack of mentor engagement.

+1

Let’s address lack of mentoring. I’m working on fixing the clutch report and making good
progress today.

Good new data sources are:
https://whimsy.apache.org/public/public_ldap_projects.json <https://whimsy.apache.org/public/public_ldap_projects.json>
https://gitbox.apache.org/repositories.json <https://gitbox.apache.org/repositories.json>

Regards,
Dave

> Also re point 2 do you think we should drop that ASF members can automatically get IPMC
membership and change it to requiring a vote by the IPMC? It’s has always seem odd to me
that this is the case. We’ve recently voted more people in that we’ve had requests from
ASF members.

> Any other sugestions?
>
> Options 2 and 3 may cause some issues around mentors, but if they were not active then
I guess it’s no big loss.

> And any suggestions on level of activity? Such as:
> - Emailed the list in the last year.
> - Reviewed at least one release in that time.
>
> It’s already been determined that some (about 15%) of the less than active PMC members
(out of the 100 odd that are not signed up to the IPMC private list) do help out infrequently
but that help is very useful. That may also apply to other inactive IPMC members, so I would
suggest the bar for what consider active be kept low.