From Julian Feinauer <j.feina...@pragmaticminds.de>
Subject Mentors and Voting on Podling Releases
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2019 09:19:45 GMT
Hi all,

I just wanted to bring back a short summary of a discussion we had with Craig Russel on a
private list regarding the role of podling mentors in the release approval process.
And as there are currently many thoughts and discussions going on about these topics, I thought
it would be good to have the essence of the discussion public.

Basically the point was when mentors should vote. In the IPMC Vote only or already in the
Podlings Vote.

Currently, the rules state that the approval of a podling release can only be given by IPMC
Vote, see [1] and [2].
Both these documents do not mention the “mentor” explicitly but only speak of the podling
and the IPMC.
Also, the role of the mentor does say nothing about releases [3] and describes the mentor
(as I read it) more as a lawyer of the podling with regards to the IPMC (and not vice versa).
On the other hand, with the current dimension of the incubator, there is a huge “load”
of approvals put on the IPMC.

So I thought if it wouldn’t be possible to discuss and perhaps redefine the mentor role
a bit with regards to release approval or voting.
My observation is, that often times the IPMC vote consists mostly of votes from mentors (or
PPMCs who happen to be also IPMC members) and from very few other IPMC members.
I also think that this makes sense, as mentors follow the projects closely and can have an
eye on the specifics of the project and have a strong relation to the project which makes
them decide to vote for the project.

On the other hand it would be a too big of a change (I guess) to simply skip the IPMC Vote
and change it to a “Mentor-only” vote (and also Craig raised a lot of reasonable concerns
and “technical” difficulties about what changes this would impose).

But perhaps one could find a sensible compromise to e.g. motivate mentors to vote in the PPMC
Vote and also state this in the IPMC Vote thread (how many mentors / IPMC members already
voted).
This would make it easier for the other IPMC members to scan through these mails and see if
they have the feeling that they should also check the release or if they feel confident enough
about the podling.
And if 3 IPMC members already voted in the PPMC Vote one could simply close the Vote 72h later
if no one else went active without big overhead.

As I understood Craig this goes in the same direction as he (and also others) think we should
go.

Best
Julian

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#releases