From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 00:17:46 GMT
Hi -

> On Mar 5, 2019, at 3:55 PM, 吴晟 Sheng Wu <wu.sheng@foxmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Roman
>

> In the discussion, I started about inviting committers to PMC when graduation, shows
the most PPMC members support this. We will wait another 2 days, in case someone may say others.

> In case PPMC agree, I want to ask the process steps of this. From committer to PMC, I
think each one should be invited and accept to be one. Then, when should the invitation happens?

> Do we need to send invitation and get confirmation before change the graduation PMC list?
> Or we could change the PMC list first, after our graduation proposal is accepted, we
send the invitation.

Just put them all on the graduation proposal (the IPMC and board’s approval is equal to
NOTICE) and (unless Infra does it) add them to the PMC in Whimsy once you have graduated and
infrastructure has moved the project LDAP.

Regards,
Dave

by sending email to private-subscribe-EMAIL.ADDRESS=DOMAIN.COM@skywalking.apache.org

>>> Not getting any response at all is not an indication of whether the list exist
of not, unfortunately.

>>> Anyway… to the thread's discussion: every PPMC received an invitation (per
Apache template) that requested subscription to both dev and private ML. Reading the ASF guidelines
here: https://apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs.html#communication ; I interpret it as
they SHOULD be subscribed rather than MUST, and I'm curious as to whether how many of the
TLPs are actually enforcing this among their pmc, if any. It's an interesting discussion…
but I'm not entirely convinced it's an accurate shortcoming to whether the podling is ready
for graduation or not.

>> I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is the proposed
PMC list accurate".

>> The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need to be familiar
with what is expected of them. Governance activities are conducted on the PPMC private list.
If a PPMC member has not participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's
unclear that they belong on the PMC.

>> Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of the discussion
of new committers has had only four or five participants, who are clearly involved in governance
of the project.