From "Mick Semb Wever" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 10:43:27 GMT

> Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.

Digging into this moreā€¦

It looks there's also been troubles subscribing from China, or more accurate receiving the
confirm subscription emails from apache to chinese inboxes. (And it wouldn't surprise me if
after creating a new mail accounts and getting things to work, folk would be forgetting then
about private@skywalking )

There's some oddity like Yao Wang who is subscribed to dev ML but is not getting the confirm
email using the same email address for the private ML.

For example:
```
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<private-tc.1551689265.dkffilnheganngfmokmf-allen.wang.123=outlook.com@skywalking.apache.org>:
ezmlm-manage: fatal: Illegal or outdated moderator request (#5.7.1)
```

Indeed if I look through my inbox I see some of those missing from the private ML having matching
"CONFIRM subscribe to private@skywalking.apache.org" emails. But they say they did not get
those emails.

Folk are also just using the list.apache.org website, which is of no surprise considering
the above errors. We'll continue with this, as the Chinese communities will need to have this
sorted out, but we do believe that all have attempted to subscribe.

Is there a reason that people with @apache.org addresses have to manually subscribe to these
lists, if it's so mandatory?
I would have thought this is something that should just then be automatic, and then in this
situation it's just the problem of ensuring the @apache.org address is successfully forwarding
emails.

regards,
Mick