From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Withdraw from Incubator or TLP status?
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 06:26:57 GMT

Hi,

Is there a specific reason you ask this?

> 1. In the incubation period, because of some special matters, is it also entitled to
voluntarily withdraw?

Yes it usually called retiring (although podling don’t really retire) , but some projects
live on elsewhere (like GitHub). The existing ALv2 would need to be honoured and the project
may need to change it name from the Apache one, but it may not have to. See for example ODF
Toolkit.

> 2. After becoming a TLP, can this TLP still have the right to voluntarily withdraw?

An Apache project can be retired to the Attic. [1] After this development could possibly occur
elsewhere, but there may be naming and trademark issues to consider.

I would assume if a project asked the board to no longer be an Apache project / podling they
would consider it and probably wouldn’t want to keep a project here against it’s will.
I can’t recall this ever happening.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://attic.apache.org/process.html