From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: A smaller IPMC
Date Fri, 08 Mar 2019 21:01:10 GMT
Hi -

<snipped>

> IPMC membership has nothing to do with mentor engagement.
>
> If you are trying to diagnose mentorship, then you need to start over with
> a mentorship discussion. If mentors participating at the IPMC don't
> correlate to their mentor engagement with their podlings, that's something
> to address. Changing the IPMC composition has no impact on such a problem.

This is the focus we need. How do we serve podlings with so many seemingly unengaged, volunteer
mentors?

(1) Mentors are each podling community's guide to operating inside the Foundation as a whole.
The goal is to get them fully ready to be a TLP with proper proven understanding of how to
function within the ASF.

(2) The Incubator spends a lot of time collecting reporting. The IPMC can measure much more
about a Podling’s status and report back to the podling directly with actionable information
including guidance that ties to Foundation guidance and resources.

(3) We need to improve workflows. There is a master file called incubator/podlings.xml. The
TVM addition to it this morning broke the file due to malformed XML. This is not the first
time. This broke Whimsy’s Roster tool for the whole Foundation. I luckily have been working
on the clutch process with respect to (2) and caught it quickly.

(4) For example, the Infra team has done wonderful work on Gitbox and LDAP. The Whimsical
team has as well. The IPMC needs to work to make our part much less fragile.

Regards,
Dave