From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Cava] Suitable name search - choosing a name
Date Tue, 19 Mar 2019 15:47:30 GMT
Hi -

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:36 AM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 3/19/2019 8:19 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>> What is somewhat funny is that the "SkyWalking" podling is on the cusp of graduation.
:)

> I would say that's irrelevant.  Skywalking is a term that is from the
> iron workers from ~100 years ago.  Obi-wan, however, is likely unique
> and defendable to the Star Wars works.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon had a lot of “Sky Walking”. It seems to be a theme in that
genre of martial arts films.

> Was Skywalking able to get a mark? They have TM on their logo.

Anyone can put a TM on their product even if it infringes on another trademark. They can then
be told to stop.
What really matters is Registration which allows the R in a circle.

In the case of Skywalking they had already operated under that name and OpenSkyWalking prior
to Incubation.

The name was approved by Brand last November.

Regards,
Dave