From Liu Ted <tedl...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject 回复:Re: Withdraw from Incubator or TLP status?
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2019 06:45:10 GMT
Got it. It's quite clear to me now.

Best regards,

Ted Liu,
ASF Member & Sponsor Ambassador

  2019 年 3 月 5 日周二 14:38,Danny Angus<danny.angus@gmail.com> 写道:
I think we have had projects "leave", back in the day, before we were structured like this.
But thinking about a example, maybe they were sub-projects.
It's worth noting that anyone is free to fork an Apache licenced project at any time, so there
is some protection should the founders which to leave the foundation with their code. Trademarks
would be different.
D.

On Tue, 5 Mar 2019, 6:27 am Justin Mclean, <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

Hi,

Is there a specific reason you ask this?

> 1. In the incubation period, because of some special matters, is it also entitled to
voluntarily withdraw?

Yes it usually called retiring (although podling don’t really retire) , but some projects
live on elsewhere (like GitHub). The existing ALv2 would need to be honoured and the project
may need to change it name from the Apache one, but it may not have to. See for example ODF
Toolkit.

> 2. After becoming a TLP, can this TLP still have the right to voluntarily withdraw?

An Apache project can be retired to the Attic. [1] After this development could possibly occur
elsewhere, but there may be naming and trademark issues to consider.

I would assume if a project asked the board to no longer be an Apache project / podling they
would consider it and probably wouldn’t want to keep a project here against it’s will.
I can’t recall this ever happening.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://attic.apache.org/process.html