From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Responsibilities and Improvements (was: Re: Whimsy general@ subs check
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 21:18:30 GMT
Hi,

> 1) Removal question and its allowance in general:  this question asked
> during every talk I gave related to ASF. My fellows ask me if someone can
> remove Committer or PMCs. Some folks think it is possible by the vote of
> PMC.

The PMC may vote on it but only the board can remove a PMC member, they have been reluctant
to do so in the past, and I don’t think they would remove people for being inactive. The
PMC can remove committers but it’s extremely rare.

> Here I need some general understanding which I can use for
> answering questions.
>
> 2) Inactive members removal: Lack of active PMCs member makes me thinks
> that at some point some removal will be necessary.

Merit doesn’t not expire and only the board can remove PMC members, a project could ask
for removed but only the board can actually remove them. In general there's no issue in having
inactive member and they may decide to become active again.

Some time back there was an attempt to clean up any project which mentioner the 6 month inactivity
thing, not all of them were caught.

Thanks,
Justin