From "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Starting at the incubator and releases
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2019 22:56:59 GMT
I think this might be a really important faq on the top of the list of
OK, now we are voted in, what's next?  and a FAQ about releases.

On 2/19/2019 5:38 PM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Looking at some of the situations we currently have I think we may need some more general
guidance for incubating projects and making releases after just joining the incubator. In
this context “non approved” means releases or distributions not approved by the PPPM and
IPMC (usually by voting) and available and promoted to the general public. This doesn’t
cover snapshots, RCs or nightly which are not advertised to the general public. Feedback /
changes / thoughts from the rest of the IPMC members welcome.

> 1. Can the PPMC can distrubite artefacts in other places that are based on approved releases.

> Yes.
>
> 2. Can the PPMC make unapproved releases in other places after joining the incubator?
>
> No but 3rd parties can and someone from the PPMC can act as a 3rd party, it must be clear
that:
> a) These are produced by a 3rd party and not the PPMC and follow Apache's branding and
trademark policy.
> b) This is not being used as a mechanism to avoid making Apache releases.
>
> 3. Can the PPMC make unapproved releases in their Apache repo after the code has been
moved to the incubator repo?

> No.
>
> 4. Can the PPMC make unapproved release in other places after the code has been moved
to the incubator repo?

> No but 3rd parties can. See 2.
>
> 5. Can the PPMC keep two repos and continue to make releases in the non Apache one after
the code has been moved to the incubator repo?

> No but 3rd parties can. See 2. It’s likely that the old repo name may need to change
to avoid confusion with the Apache project.

> 6. Can the PPMC link to unapproved releases or distributions from their website or download
pages.

> No, unless these are clearly marked as 3rd party releases and not endorsed by the PPMC.
>
> 7. When should the first ASF release be made.
>
> Ideally within six months of joining the incubator. Remember this first release doesn’t
have to be perfect.

> There may be the occasional exception to these guidelines, this would need to be discussed
and approved by your mentors and the IPMC informed.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Kevin A. McGrail
Member, Apache Software Foundation