From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] introduce "[DISCUSS]" threads for podling non-ASF release candidates
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2019 20:46:54 GMT
This change would be useful.

As a release manager of a podling, the most disheartening thing is latency. The usual practice
is a 72 hour PPMC release vote, followed by a 72 hour IPMC vote, one of which will cross a
weekend, so a negative vote on the last day of the IPMC vote adds at least a week to the process.
A negative vote (or comment) on day 1 or 2 of the PPMC vote is much less disruptive.

I encourage reviewers to review a release candidate, and vote, as early as possible in the
72 hour voting period. I also encourage them to review and vote even if there have been -1
votes, because they might find other issues that the previous reviewer(s) missed. Because
these practices speed the process along, and even if the first RC fails, get to a good second
RC as soon as possible.

Myrle’s proposal to use a [DISCUSS] thread encourages these practices: people won’t be
as tempted to wait for 71 hours before chiming in, and people will tend to continue to review
even after they have seen some negative reviews.

Julian