From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2019 00:54:41 GMT
Hi,

> I assume that "https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>"
is an Apache controlled
> location, so publishing Apache images from there is fine provided they obey
> our policies (release policy, website policy etc).

I believe INFA has something to do with setting that up, but I think we should extend what
be consider “official" to anything with apache in it’s user name, like apachepulsar.

> I get more confused in other areas (PyPI, npm) where we don't have a clear
> namespace for acts of the foundation. Is
> https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/ <https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/> an
act of the PMC or an act of some
> random folk who may or may not overlap with the PMC.

Given the confusion, perhaps only allow project names with apache in them to be controlled
by PMCs and/or assume they are? Much like the domain name policy we have. If so they would
need to follow ASF release policy. If it’s named apache there a good chance users think
it official and it probably is run by the PMC so policy applies?

Thanks,
Justin