From Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Podlings not following ASF release policy
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2019 01:41:47 GMT
I’m a mentor of Druid.

We allowed Druid to continue making releases outside of Apache during incubation because ASF
releases were not possible. There were various reasons - they could not release from main
line because IP transfer had not been completed (if I recall correctly), and they also needed
to make bug-fix releases of existing releases. Druid is an active project with large installations
in production, some of them at major companies; pausing releases for 6 - 9 months while transitioning
into ASF would have been hugely damaging to the project and its community.

The project tried to do everything by the book: they sought permission for releases outside
of ASF, disclosed the non-ASF releases in its reports, and made an official Apache release
as soon as they could. If there is anything they could/should have done differently, let’s
discuss, and write down guidelines for future podlings that are in a similar situation.

Julian

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 5:16 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> One of the issues I’ve seen is that project continues to make releases in GitHub after
being accepted into the incubator, in some case is this because the repo hasn’t been moved
over yet, in other cases it’s because they believe that the code base is not Apache ready.
What should we do in this situations? From what I seen it usually just delays transfer of
the repo and encourages unapproved releases. I would would push for mentors speeding up that
transfer rather than allowing unapproved releases. What do others think?