From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: Podlings not following ASF release policy
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2019 03:39:31 GMT
HI,

> We allowed Druid to continue making releases outside of Apache during incubation because
ASF releases were not possible. There were various reasons - they could not release from main
line because IP transfer had not been completed (if I recall correctly), and they also needed
to make bug-fix releases of existing releases. Druid is an active project with large installations
in production, some of them at major companies; pausing releases for 6 - 9 months while transitioning
into ASF would have been hugely damaging to the project and its community.

I sympathise but it does seem it took them far too long to get out their first release, that
is also damaging to the community. It's true the releases and difficulties were noted in the
reports but I’m wondering this this could of been handled in another way without so many
unapproved releases.

There is some room for improvement for instance it’s impossible to tell what is an official
release and what is not here [1], there are also release candidates listed as releases. The
druid website points to directly to that page for past releases (from the versioning page).
It seems release are being listed on the druid.io website [2] and the main site links to that
one which seem well a bit odd.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://github.com/apache/incubator-druid/releases