From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Podlings not following ASF release policy
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2019 03:57:21 GMT
Hi Julian,

A perfect example!

I think we should add a checkbox to the podling report where the podling indicates when they
are fully in compliance with release policy. Until that is done we don’t worry.

Additionally, Infra could tag and “release” with appropriate description when they move
a GitHub repository into the foundation.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 5:41 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I’m a mentor of Druid.
>
> We allowed Druid to continue making releases outside of Apache during incubation because
ASF releases were not possible. There were various reasons - they could not release from main
line because IP transfer had not been completed (if I recall correctly), and they also needed
to make bug-fix releases of existing releases. Druid is an active project with large installations
in production, some of them at major companies; pausing releases for 6 - 9 months while transitioning
into ASF would have been hugely damaging to the project and its community.

> The project tried to do everything by the book: they sought permission for releases outside
of ASF, disclosed the non-ASF releases in its reports, and made an official Apache release
as soon as they could. If there is anything they could/should have done differently, let’s
discuss, and write down guidelines for future podlings that are in a similar situation.

> Julian
>

>> On Feb 8, 2019, at 5:16 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> One of the issues I’ve seen is that project continues to make releases in GitHub
after being accepted into the incubator, in some case is this because the repo hasn’t been
moved over yet, in other cases it’s because they believe that the code base is not Apache
ready. What should we do in this situations? From what I seen it usually just delays transfer
of the repo and encourages unapproved releases. I would would push for mentors speeding up
that transfer rather than allowing unapproved releases. What do others think?