From Ignasi Barrera <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the case of the maven wrapper
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 08:15:44 GMT
In the particular case of the "MavenWrapperDownloader.java" file, I would
say it is OK not to mention it in the LICENSE/NOTICE files, as per the
existing policy [1]. The project does not contain a NOTICE file, so there
is nothing to propagate there, and policy says that if the bundled
dependency is already ASLv2, there is no need to modify the LICENSE file.

IMO, it is fine that the Incubator makes the podlings aware of the "for
completeness it is useful to list the products and their versions" part,
but just a matter of convenience. The policy is clear, though: it should
not be a requirement, and thus the Incubator should enforce that as such
(I'm not pretending to say it's doing ti now; just dumping my views).

We can enter the debate about fairness, ethics, etc, and mentioning
provenance in the license (but hey, if an ASLv2 licensed project wants to
enforce it, it can provide its own NOTICE file). In the end, what is not
mandatory in policy should not be a requirement to be implemented by
podlings, but a choice of every single community.

My $0.02

I.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep