From Antoine Toulme <anto...@toulme.name>
Subject Re: Suitable project name search (was: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava)
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:50:46 GMT
Thanks Pierre. Sorry, I was trying to spare myself looking ignorant, and I ended up breaking
public comms.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll proceed.

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 12:28 AM, Pierre Smits <pierresmits@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Antoine,

contributors to chime in (maybe even faster than I am).

> Regarding the search for the optimal name, the best way to go about (IMO) is to make
a short list - in accordance with [1] - and discuss those on list with the community. When
a satisfactory result has been achieved use that in the proposal and [2]

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH>

> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org/>, Vice President
> Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org/>, PMC Member
> Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org/>, committer
> Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, contributor (without privileges) since
2008
> Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org/>, committer
>

> On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 6:34 PM Antoine Toulme <antoine@toulme.name <mailto:antoine@toulme.name>>
wrote:
> Hi Pierre,
>
> Looking over Jira, all the tickets are about proving a name that has already been selected
is not currently in use.

> I was looking for a way to conduct a name search with the community, with proposals.
> Is jira the right avenue for this?
>
> If not, I’m happy to swing it by selecting a name of my own choosing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Antoine
>
>> On Feb 8, 2019, at 12:46 AM, Pierre Smits <pierresmits@apache.org <mailto:pierresmits@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi Antoine,
>>
>> First of all: thank you for the LinkedIn accept.
>>
>> More information about the PNS (Podling Name Search) can be found via [1].
>>
>> After having yourself familiarised with that, I suggest to register a JIRA ticket
with project 'PODLING NAME SEARCH' for the new project name, see [2]. I
>>  also suggest to browse through a few of the open tickets to get a gist of what steps
to take.

>> [1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html <https://incubator.apache.org/guides/names.html>
>> [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH>
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org/>, Vice President
>> Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org/>, PMC Member
>> Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org/>, committer
>> Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, contributor (without privileges)
since 2008
>> Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org/>, committer
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 3:03 AM Antoine Toulme <antoine@toulme.name <mailto:antoine@toulme.name>>
wrote:
>> [going off-list]
>>
>> How should we conduct the name search?
>>
>> I have a few names I can submit. I can push for one if that makes sense.
>>
>> I am looking for previous discussions on the list, but nothing close to an open name
search seems to have happened there.