From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2019 02:47:28 GMT
Hi,

> Infra does not police what projects deploy on their dockerhub repos. Do we need to?

Well from a casual glance I can see several projects that seem to be putting releases constructed
from unapproved source code up there. I’ve not looked in detail so may be mistaken. I guess
sit depends if that concerns you or not.

> Most projects historically have played by the rules. This touches a bit on what it really
means to be an Apache Project. My thought here is that the Incubator needs to be a bit more
circumspect with regards to onboarding projects before they fully understand the Apache Way.
We’ve seen this play out with a significant percentage of projects over the last few years.
I don’t know what the solution here is, but the gap between “old school” projects that
fall into the Apache Way fairly easily, and the “new school” github-based projects that
fly fast and loose seems to be growing by the day.

The incubator does need to do a better job of making the GitHub (and other platform)  limitations
clear before the project joins. Quite often we’re not even aware of how the project was
using GitHub, Docker or other channels before it joined, it only that after they join that
these things become issues and then it’s too late.

Thanks,
Justin