From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 19:02:34 GMT

> On Feb 7, 2019, at 10:46 AM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,

not be associated with Apache but with the previous project.

(both 3.0 and 3.1 have now been removed from there).

to Apache. I'd suggest restoring the original https://github.com/sharding-sphere/ <https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere.git>*
repositories so they don't automatically redirect to the Apache podling git repositories.

software anywhere advertised to the general public that hasn’t been approved for release.
Could a 3rd party do it sure, could they call it Sharding Sphere probably not.

>>> To be clear, the ShardingSphere PPMC did not release anything. The group of people
who managed the project before it became the ShardingSphere PPMC did the release.

>>> The unfortunate thing is that the ShardingSphere PPMC then made the release available
on the PPMC-managed site. This is the wrong thing that needs to be fixed. Removing the 3.x
releases from the Apache site is part of the fix. Restoring the github project that existed
prior to the creation of the podling is the other part.

>>> I hope we can agree that there are two separate projects. One of them will be
obsolete and will disappear once Apache ShardingSphere graduates. The old ShardingSphere will
no longer have rights to the name.

>> Was the ASF Git for ShardingSphere created by cloning the legacy project, or was
the repo transferred under an SGA?

> I believe this INFRA ticket has the relevant information:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289>

The old repository was moved to the ASF and logically that should also have moved the legacy
releases.

There are tradeoffs between moving / renaming and cloning. What moving the repository means
is that technically there is no old repository or project.

Prior “Non-Apache Releases” are attached to the repository and come along. What to do?
I think we have to accept these, but mark them appropriately as deleting them would be for
the project community during transition.

Regards,
Dave