From "Mick Semb Wever" <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: the case of the maven wrapper
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2019 06:43:26 GMT

> > One of the tings I've noticed is that the vetos on a podling's first release can
be a bit harsh.

> A -1 on a release is not a veto. A release can still pass if it gets 3
> +1 votes. However in this case because of the jar in a source release
> it’s unlikely IMO to get 3 +1 IPMC votes.

You're quite right. A "-1" is not a veto on a release vote. (It is on any other vote.)
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

I would still say that many people, especially those new to ASF, feel that a "-1" is a veto
(and receive it harshly).
As Incubator VP people do respect you, and comments on how we expect releases to be fixed
(or improved for next time) i believe would be received better without the "-1", even if technically
you are correct (and you are providing the feedback on ASF voting actually works).

> > This would add some burden to the Incubator.
>
> I doubt the board will allow the incubator to do this, if you see an
> issue at a TLP you can alway ask them to fix it al well.

My suggestion/thought-bubble wasn't the burden being the responsibility in getting graduate
projects in fixing their violations, but only in surveying the precedence and extent of violations
 among ASF projects.

regards,
Mick