From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:49:45 GMT
Hi,

> 2. The PPMC should not publish software outside of Apache controlled locations.

I’m trying to find where the above has come from as I can find anything in the release or
distribution policies. [1] says “It is appropriate to distribute official releases through
downstream channels, but inappropriate to distribute unreleased materials through them.”,
[4] say this is OK "In all such cases, the binary/bytecode package must have the same version
number as the source release and may only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of
compiling that version of the source code release.”

So everything there  to me is saying it’s OK to distribute versions of release software
on platforms like docker and I not sure where the "Apache controlled locations only” restriction
has come from.

Now the main issue with snapshots and nightly is this [2] "Projects SHALL publish official
releases and SHALL NOT publish unreleased materials outside the development community.”,
[3] explains it’s about legal protection of (P)PMC members, and [4] prohibits links to such
releases. The distribution policy [5] also states that unreleased material "MAY be distributed
to consenting members of a development community.”

So I believe  the question here with docker is:  Is using a tag enough to satisfy that the
PPMC is only distributing to consenting members of a development community?

Thanks,
Justin

1, https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-270
2. http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#publication