From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 16:31:20 GMT

> On Feb 6, 2019, at 10:31 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
>> This was done. The issue is that the "3.0.0 outside Apache" release should not be
associated with Apache but with the previous project.

> They also made a 3.1.0 release as well and it was on the Apache github site (both 3.0
and 3.1 have now been removed from there).

>> It looks like the original repositories have been changed to redirect to Apache.
I'd suggest restoring the original https://github.com/sharding-sphere/ <https://github.com/sharding-sphere/sharding-sphere.git>*
repositories so they don't automatically redirect to the Apache podling git repositories.

> I’m not so sure that's OK. It’s probably not right for a PPMC to be releasing software
anywhere advertised to the general public that hasn’t been approved for release. Could a
3rd party do it sure, could they call it Sharding Sphere probably not.

To be clear, the ShardingSphere PPMC did not release anything. The group of people who managed
the project before it became the ShardingSphere PPMC did the release.

The unfortunate thing is that the ShardingSphere PPMC then made the release available on the
PPMC-managed site. This is the wrong thing that needs to be fixed. Removing the 3.x releases
from the Apache site is part of the fix. Restoring the github project that existed prior to
the creation of the podling is the other part.

I hope we can agree that there are two separate projects. One of them will be obsolete and
will disappear once Apache ShardingSphere graduates. The old ShardingSphere will no longer
have rights to the name.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,