From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Unapproved Sharding Sphere releases
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2019 21:52:59 GMT

> On Feb 7, 2019, at 1:44 PM, Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 7, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-17289>

>> The old repository was moved to the ASF and logically that should also have moved
the legacy releases.

> Doh! I learn something new about git every day. My assumption all along was that the
contents of the repository were to be copied, leaving the old repository/web-pages/releases
intact.

> Larger discussion: Is there a reason for projects coming into incubation to have the
old repository moved (i.e. renamed) instead of being copied? I cannot think of a good use
case for moving versus copying. Seems like any project that had releases and a community outside
Apache would want to copy, not move.

If the project is moved then all of the thousands of forks and stars are still associated
with the original project. If copied then all of these will be associated with the now abandoned
repository and most of those will never come along with the moving project.

For the Chinese projects this can mean losing thousands of users and sometime contributors
to the project.

So, I am a MOVE and not COPY.

ShardingSphere has 6,633 stars and 2,363 forks plus 842 watches.

> Smaller discussion: Should the JIRA have been written to request copying/forking the
project? Or is this something that is supposed to be self-serve. I could not find a definitive
answer to this.

Ask Infra. ASICT they move by default.

Regards,
Dave

> Craig
>>
>> There are tradeoffs between moving / renaming and cloning. What moving the repository
means is that technically there is no old repository or project.

>> Prior “Non-Apache Releases” are attached to the repository and come along. What
to do? I think we have to accept these, but mark them appropriately as deleting them would
be for the project community during transition.