From Antoine Toulme <anto...@toulme.name>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2019 00:00:34 GMT
Thanks. I am replying inline:

> On Feb 5, 2019, at 2:57 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Nice proposal. Just a couple of  comments.
>
>> The project is well established and counts 2 active committers. Some contributions
were made from the community.

> Being that small may be a concern, the ASF prefers project with a community around them,
but it’s not always a barrier to entry see for example Apache PLC4X.
We actually have more interest and contributors, and making this proposal is going to help
me engage them in the open.

I’d like to leverage this proposal process as much as possible to build the community.

>> Blockchain protocol developers organize well in communities, and some lively discussions
take place over Twitter, Gitter, Telegram.

> At the ASF all decisions need to be made on the mailing list not on any external platform
mentioned above. Would the project be OK with moving discussions to a mailing list and having
them in an asynchronous manner?
This is absolutely fine, yes.

If that wasn’t clear, I lament the state of the communication channels of blockchain development
communities. I believe proper mailing lists will help. And I think the culture of ASF will
help us stick to that.

>> We will remain in incubation for a period of no less than a year so we can properly
invest and build a community of users, contributors and committers around our goals.

> Most projects take more than a year to graduate, two years is usual but some projects
do take longer. Is the project OK with that and will your mentors stay around for that long?
I’m OK with this. Will update.

>> '''Initial Committers'''
>>
>> Antoine Toulme (toulmean at apache dot org) *
>
> Seem odd to only list one initial committer, all initial committer s are on the PPMC
and you would need a minimum of 3 active people. The IPMC generally likes to see 5.
See above. I’m now collecting motions of support and will push for more people.