From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [Cava] Suitable name search - choosing a name
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2019 21:28:48 GMT

> On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:26 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On 2/28/2019 3:24 PM, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>>>
>>> It also seems to imply that usage of the name rainbow would somehow
>>> be offensive or insensitive. Again, I'm not sure how. Nor am I aware
>>> of situations where the LGBT+ community "has expressed concerns"
>>> about usage *of the name* Rainbow.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> Anyone could hypothetically be offended by anything, I could list a
>> large number of theoretical offenses in project names. Let's please
>> stick to *actual* feedback and not preemptively censor ourselves. If
>> such feedback exists, fair enough, but I am also not aware of any such.
>
> I have asked off-list for someone I trust in the LGBTQ community who is
> also an ASF member to weigh in on this but I am aware that this is a
> concern.  I just can't articulate how much of a concern it is.  I will
> work to get that better clarified for the podling.

I am aware of various members of the LGBT+ community being offended by companies
trying to *co-opt* the rainbow *symbol* specifically and explicitly in relation to a cheap
and easy way to show "support" or a way to be "hip" or "cool"... heck, I'm offended by it
as well.

But that's not what we're talking about.

And yeah, "just figure out a new name if there is any possible doubt" is
a safe strategy, but it does edge us closer to a slippery slope.

--
Signed Jim (who recalls the debate long ago about the Apache "Jakarta" name)