From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Guidelines for distribution of incubating artefacts on other platforms
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2019 07:07:40 GMT
Hi,

Feedback welcome. If you think anything here is not in line with the ASF release and distribution
policy please speak up. Currently it’s not clear to me if RCs, snapshots or nightlys would
be allowed on these platforms so some changes may need to be made.

If you want to add another platform please do so, but these are one we’ve recently had issues
with that I’m aware of.

Currently not many projects would be complying with this, for instance most likely missing
the incubator disclaimer, which I think is importtant.

Does the IPMC think we need to have a vote on approving this?

I've added a harsh non-compliance to hopefully smart how important this is and to reduce the
risk to the ASF. If you think it is too harsh or not needed speak up.

Guidelines to help you comply with the ASF release and distribution policies

In addition to the Apache mirror system incubating projects may distribute artefacts on other
platforms as long as they follow these general guidelines:
- Unofficial releases need to be made from approved voted on approved ASF releases.
- An incubating disclaimer must be clearly be displayed where the artefacts are made available.
- Release candidates, nightlys and snapshots must not be advertised to the general public.
- Apache project branding and naming needs to be respected.
- It should be clear that the artefact in under the ALv2 license.
- Where possible these artefacts should not be referred to as releases.

If any podling is found not to comply they will be asked to fix it, if a fix doesn’t happen
with a week they will be asked to remove the offending artefact(s), if a podling commits serial
offences or fails to remove artefacts when asked to within a week they will be banned from
using that distribution mechanism altogether.

GitHub

Artifacts show up on https://github.com/apache/incubator-<project>/releases

To comply with ASF release and distributions please ensue the following:
- Any releases need to include the text of the incubation disclaimer.
- The release page must not contain release candidates, nightly or snapshots releases.
- Any releases that exist before coming into incubation need to be clearly described and tagged
as such on https://github.com/apache/incubator-<project>/tags.
- Release candidates, nightly or snapshots releases can be tagged and appear on https://github.com/apache/incubator-<project>/tags.

Docker

To comply with ASF release and distributions please ensue the following:
- The overview should include the incubator disclaimer.
- The docker file should include an ASF header.
- The docker file should include the incubator disclaimer.
- "docker pull apache/<project>" should not install an artefact containing unapproved
code.
- Release candidates, nightly or snapshots need to be clearly tagged.
- The latest tag should not point to an artefact containing unapproved code e.g. to master
or dev branches or to a RC or snapshot.

NPM

Artefacts  show up on https://www.npmjs.com/package/apache<project> version page

To comply with ASF release and distributions please ensue the following:
- The readme tab needs to include the text of the incubation disclaimer.
- “npm install apache<project>” should not install an artefact containing unapproved
code.
- The latest release should not point to an artefact containing unapproved code e.g. a release
candidate or snapshot.
- Release candidates, nightly or snapshots need to be clearly tagged.
- The license field should display the ALv2 license.

PiPy

Artefacts need to be placed in https://pypi.org/project/apache<project>/

To comply with ASF release and distributions please ensue the following:
- The project description should include the incubator disclaimer.
- “pip install apache<project>" should not install an artefact containing unapproved
code.
- Release candidates, nightly or snapshots need to be clearly tagged as pre-release on https://pypi.org/project/apaceh<project>/#history
- The latest version should not point to an artefact containing unapproved code e.g. to a
release candidate or snapshot
- The meta license field should display the ALv2 license.

Once the discussion has died down I'll run this past infra and legal and see if they are fine
with it and then bring it to the boards attention.

Thanks,
Justin