From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] New blockchain project: Cava
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2019 06:44:59 GMT
Hi Antoine,

I would be happy to help (as mentor, or as committer, or both, up to you
;)).

Regards
JB

On 05/02/2019 23:42, Antoine Toulme wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We’d like to start a conversation around a new proposal for a set of Java-based blockchain
project.

> I have written a proposal available here, and reproduced below: https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CavaProposal
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CavaProposal>

> At this time, we have a champion, Jim Jagielski (thanks Jim), and would like to recruit
additional developers and mentors.

> We have deliberately left room on the project charter to engage openly with the community.
That said, we would start the project with code coming from ConsenSys, and we will recruit
developers from there and elsewhere actively.

> The goal of this thread is engage with the community and gather interest for participation
in the project. Please let us know what you think!

> Cheers,
>
> Antoine Toulme
>
> == Abstract ==
> Cava is a set of libraries and other tools to aid development of blockchain and other
decentralized software in Java and other JVM languages.

> Please note: Cava is a contraction of "ConsenSys Java". The community should consider
an alternate name.

> = Proposal =
>
> Cava is a set of libraries and other tools to aid development of blockchain and other
decentralized software in Java and other JVM languages.
> It includes a low-level bytes library, serialization and deserialization codecs (e.g.
RLP), various cryptography functions and primatives, and lots of other helpful utilities.
> Cava is developed for JDK 1.8 or higher, and depends on various other FOSS libraries.
>
> === Background ===
>
> Cava was built as an open source project from the grounds up to accelerate the maturation
of the blockchain ecosystem, particularly in relation with enterprise products predominantly
built in Java.
> Cava is used by several products today: Orion, Pantheon, and Artemis from Pegasys.
>
> Cava libraries are also used in various experiments regarding scalability, such as Canto.
>
> Several other community members would want to leverage Cava and would benefit from working
directly on the project outside of the influence of the original corporate sponsor, ConsenSys.

> === Rationale ===
>
> Cava is organized as set of libraries that form the basis of most blockchain, distributed
ledgers or cryptography work.

> Most of the work built for Cava was meant for Ethereum, but can be reused across other
blockchain technologies.

> There is a need for blockchain implementors to use well trusted, production-ready software
to bootstrap their efforts.

> === Initial Goals ===
>
> The goal is to form a community of developers and adopters who will be able to collaborate
openly around blockchain technologies and mature frameworks
> to reduce risk when implementing blockain-related projects.
>
> === Current Status ===
>
> The project is well established and counts 2 active committers. Some contributions were
made from the community.

> The project has made several releases, distributed through Maven Central, with GPG signatures
and proper Maven metadata published.

> '''Meritocracy:'''
>
> Active discussions on github issues and PRs has helped identify new possible commiters.
>
> Our main goal, moving to Apache is to promote our project as a meritocracy under the
guideline of the Apache Way to help foster a community around our efforts.

>  * '''Community:'''
>
> Blockchain protocol developers organize well in communities, and some lively discussions
take place over Twitter, Gitter, Telegram.

> We would like to create a community for dedicated Java developers to contribute to the
blockchain space.

> We currently have a little activity through the channels mentioned above, but no channel
dedicated specifically to Cava is seeing a lot of traction.

>  * '''Core Developers:'''
>
> Cava was built by two developers with a long experience in open source work. Both lead
separate open source projects.
> One of the developers is the PMC Chair for Apache Buildr and a committer for Apache ODE.
>
>  * '''Alignment:'''
>
> We believe there isn't a blockchain TLP for Java at Apache at this time and would like
to participate in establishing a presence in that domain of expertise.

> We would rely and integrate closely with a number of projects hosted by the ASF such
as Apache Camel.

> '''Known Risks'''
>
>  * '''Orphaned products''':
>
> The contributors are committed to the development of the blockchain space and are employed
by a leading vendor in blockchain.

> The source code is used in a production setting by critical projects.
>
> However, the number of initial developers and contributors is small, and we will need
to ramp up our recruitment efforts.

>  * '''Inexperience with Open Source:'''
>
> The project was started from scratch as an open source project. All committers have experience
with open source projects.

> We did not make the effort of creating a detailed roadmap and organizing a collaborative
approach to reaching to the community for feedback.
> We aim to rely on the ASF infrastructure, especially Jira, to help create more visibility
in this regard.

>  * '''Length of Incubation:'''
>
>  We will remain in incubation for a period of no less than a year so we can properly
invest and build a community of users, contributors and committers around our goals.

>  * '''Homogenous Developers:'''
>
> The current list of committers is made of folks working or having worked for the same
company.
> We will aggressively expand to new populations of developers, from a geographical and
domain perspective.

> We believe there is a category of enterprise Java developers who are not experimenting
with blockchain technologies because it looks immature or is built in other languages.
> We believe addressing this gap will help create a healthy community around the project.
>
>  * '''Reliance on Salaried Developers''':
>
> The project is made first and foremost of volunteers. One of the initial committers is
salaried by one of the sponsors.

> Given the level of interest into the project, we firmly believe the project would continue
without salaried developers contributing to the project.

>  * '''Relationships with Other Apache Products:'''
>
> We will work with other Apache and open source projects to help ensure we offer developers
using our framework a cohesive approach to building blockchain middleware products.
> Currently the project doesn't have strong tie ins to other Apache projects, but we will
investigate how to strenghten our relationships with middleware integration projects such
as Apache Camel, queues and transport projects such as Apache Kafka, and database projects
such as Apache Ignite and Apache Cassandra.

>  * '''A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand:'''
>
> We rely on the Apache Way to help bake in the best community around our project. We are
educated about the sensitivity of the Apache brand and how to best preserve it.

formats: https://consensys.github.io/cava/docs/kotlin/0.6.0/cava/

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org