From Chris Lambertus <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tying Dockerhub into development and release management
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2019 01:22:36 GMT

> On Feb 7, 2019, at 4:54 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I assume that "https://hub.docker.com/u/apache <https://hub.docker.com/u/apache>"
is an Apache controlled
>> location, so publishing Apache images from there is fine provided they obey
>> our policies (release policy, website policy etc).
>
> I believe INFA has something to do with setting that up, but I think we should extend
what be consider “official" to anything with apache in it’s user name, like apachepulsar.

Hi,

Infra manages the u/apache dockerhub org. We provide this service with the express caveat
that projects note that these are UNOFFICIAL releases, and CONVENIENCE BINARIES ONLY. How
much projects comply with this is unknown to me. It is a common thread in discussions of this
nature because the party line is “the ASF releases code” but the reality is that “people
consume binaries.”

Until that juxtaposition is well and truly addressed, these discussions will continue to happen
ad nauseam. I have not reviewed the threads on legal, I just popped in over here because Dave
Fisher pointed it out to me.

We (Infra) always point out http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html as the defining
document that describes official release channels.

-Chris
ASF Infra