From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Training (incubating) Proposal
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2019 22:00:58 GMT
Hi Lars,

I'll volunteer to mentor the project if it ends up incubating. And I'd like to join the discussion
as a member of the (P)PMC. The idea of an open source project to help rationalize training
materials is very appealing.

I'm also very interested in the ecosystem of not-for-profit education and I think this project
would be a great fit.

Craig

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:49 AM, Lars Francke <lars.francke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been going back and forth on the topic of TLP vs. Incubator podling.
>
> I don't really have a strong opinion but I'm leaning slightly in favor of
> "straight to TLP" and the past discussion (linked in previous mail) did
> also have more voices in favor of TLP. But of course there are arguments to
> be made for both sides.
>
> I've been wondering if anyone here has opinions on this part of the
> proposal?
>
> In a related thread I asked about how to proceed in terms of choosing
> members for a PMC and one suggestion was to make it depend on the route:
>
> * Incubator: On graduation ask and assess current PMC members and see if
> everyone has proven their merit and is willing to continue
> * TLP: Start with a PMC consisting of only ASF members (plus additional
> committers) and then accept additional members for the PMC on a "normal"
> basis
>
> Cheers,
> Lars
>

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:49 PM Lars Francke <lars.francke@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> this is the result of the discussion I started in December 2018[1].
>>
>> I would like to start this thread to get feedback on a proposal we've been
>> working on for a project focused on developing training material for Apache
>> & 3rd party projects.
>>
>> The full proposal can be found here <
>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TrainingProposal>
>>
>> Disclaimer: It is a bit different than most other proposals as it
>> basically starts at zero.
>>
>> Our main goals for this discussion are:
>> * Finding mentors and interested contributors
>> * Discuss whether this should be a Incubator project, straight to TLP or a
>> Central Service
>> * Sharpen the scope of the project
>>
>> While I personally have a relatively long history as a contributor,
>> committer etc. at Apache I've never been a mentor before so we would love
>> for some experienced people to help us out.
>>
>> We're looking forward to all kinds of feedback.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lars
>>
>> [1] <
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9cb4d7eef73e0d526e0124944c3d37325aa892675351a1eed0a25de3@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E