From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Incubator exit interview
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2019 18:29:12 GMT
On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:14 AM Kevin A. McGrail <kmcgrail@apache.org> wrote:
> On 1/14/2019 1:01 PM, Julian Hyde wrote:
> > I don’t think the “decisions should be made on-list” principle applies to
all communication. (Otherwise why would we allow hallway conversations at conferences?) I’d
rather that we make better decisions than be slave to principle.

> It really does apply to everything.

As Mark Twain would say: all generalizations are false. Including this one ;-)

> Even if you have the best meeting
> in the world, you bring back minutes and decisions made off list for
> ratification.  That way there is then an archive of the decision and
> everyone can participate.

I think if you unpack this statement you will see that there's an implicit
assumption about "collaborative things". That's 90+% of what ASF does.
And the statement applies there 100% -- no disagreement there.

But there's also a small portion of things that have to do with humans,
personalities and personnel. That's where what - Julian mentioned really
starts making sense. At least in my book.

Thanks,
Roman.