From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Unomi to TLP
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2019 01:10:10 GMT
Hi -

> On Jan 21, 2019, at 4:37 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 3:21 PM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> -0 (binding) - This podling has never completed a suitable podling name
>> search. It seems that people no longer consider that relevant as it is not
>> in the Maturity model and I’m not sure why. It could be because that is
>> ComDev and not the IPMC.
>>

> The "Maturity Model" (MM) is just a thing developed by ComDev peeps. It has
> no bearing within the Foundation, other than as a lens for individuals to
> view projects. That lens is not part of the Incubator, or any other PMC.
>
> Personally, I do not view the "podling name search" (PNS) as a gate. That
> is another imposition, from outside the Incubator, that has crept into the
> "Must Be Performed(tm)" guidelines for graduation. The Board is the
> ultimate arbiter of whether a podling can graduate, and a name search is
> informative for them, rather than gating for us [on the IPMC]. If a podling
> wants to be called "Apache Acme", and "gee, there are a lot of Acme
> products out there", then that is on the community. Not something for the
> Incubator to demand they change; just something for them to deal with. A
> community problem, rather than one for the Incubator or the Foundation
> itself.

I think that the Incubator Mentors to a podling should be responsible for making sure that
the prospective TLP is aware that they are responsible for their branding. This means that
they need to think about their name whether it is Apache Acme, Apache Coyote or Apache Roadrunner.
I think the Board should want to know that the podling also understands what marketing and
press are available for the project. In that way we can introduce Neutrality and how to deal
with $Co third parties. I want mentors aware, but can affirm that the podling is aware.

Since mentors have voted +1, I will change my VOTE to +1 (binding)

> In summary: reduce the rules. Forget the MM and the PNS. Not Incubator
> problems.

The question then should go to the VP,  Brand regarding PNS (If the TLP/podling has or wants
to have a registered trademark) and Comedy about whether they wish to add PNS and other questions
to the MM.

Depending on if the IPMC agrees then there is likely some things to clear up with clutch and
whimsy about podlings that will make validating a podling graduation easier.

Regards,
Dave