From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Ratis Thirdparty 0.2.0 rc0
Date Tue, 04 Dec 2018 16:29:53 GMT
Thanks for the quick vote, Justin!

On 12/4/18 2:14 AM, Justin Mclean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> +1 binding but there probably an issue you’ll need to look into before ether net release.
>
> I checked:
> - incubating in name
> - signatures and hashes good
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - LICENSE and NOTICE correct
> - All ASF files have ASF header
> - No binary files
> - Can compile from source
>
> The LICENSE and NOTICE additions in ratis-thirdparty-0.2.0-incubating/misc/src/main/appended-resources/META-INF/
do not look correct to me, as it seem it would be missing LICENSE information (i.e. the software
mentioned in NOTICE) and you have items in NOTICE that are not correct, in general it’s
only the copyright lines from other included ALv2 software NOTICE files or relocated copyright
files that go in NOTICE.

Are we looking at different things, Justin? The NOTICE file in the
directory you mention only has copyright information for bundled
software (and text to help us know to what product that copyright
statement applies). Are you expecting a more verbatim inclusion of the
full NOTICE content and not the relevant "spirit"?

For LICENSE, gRPC is ALv2 (no mention required), protobuf-java is
3-clause BSD (which is included), netty is ALv2 (no mention required),
and gson is also ALv2. What do you see that's missing?

> You may want to remove the .mds file [1]

What's your read on this? Remove them because of little/no value over
sha xsum files (which are required by ASF policy)?

I fixed the sha xsum naming over the previous release, but didn't take
the time to remove the .mds since it wasn't _against_ policy to remove it.