From "Jonas Pfefferle" <peppe...@japf.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Apache Crail-1.1-incubating [rc3]
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 14:43:46 GMT
Hi,

  On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 00:25:51 +1100
  Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Just to clarify the need for build instructions. The documentation
>>is part of the repository:
>>https://github.com/apache/incubator-crail/tree/master/doc and can be
>>generated with "make html". Is it sufficient if we point this out in
>>the README? We don't want to duplicate documentation unnecessarily
>>and we figure just including build instructions in the README would
>>not get you far since you still would not know how to run/deploy etc.
>

> Having documentation on how to build at a URL which may change over
>time could be problematic, what if someone wants to build an old
>version and docs have changed? Given it’s as simple as “make html”
>what’s the harm in putting it in the README? Anything that’s an extra
>step (i.e. I need to look this up at a URL) means that someone may
>not use your software. I would try and make the release as self
>contained as possible. That being said it totally up to the PPMC what
>to do here.

I agree. We added a few lines in the README how to access the documentation
locally.

> I would suggest you look again at the NOTICE issue, it might (but it
>could equally not be) be considered an issue at graduation in regards
>to project independence.

Since that does not seem to be a problem for OpenWhisk we will leave it for
now.
IBM requires us to put copyright notices on every project we submit code
to. As practiced in many open source projects like Linux, DPDK, ...

Thanks,
Jonas