From Willem Jiang <willem.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] bprc proposal
Date Sun, 04 Nov 2018 07:09:30 GMT
Hi,

I just have a quick look at the proposal, it looks like we need to add
more third party dependencies from the source file in the
directory[1].

[1]https://github.com/brpc/brpc/tree/master/src/butil/third_party

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem
On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 1:01 AM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Any suggestions or comments on this proposal before I bring it to a VOTE?
>
> > On Oct 25, 2018, at 7:38 AM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > Sorry about that I missed the topic autocorrection.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> >> On Oct 24, 2018, at 9:15 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net <mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net>>
wrote:

> >> Hi -
> >>
> >> I would like to discuss accepting bprc project into the Incubator:
> >> Initially there were five developers from Baidu, but now these are from several
companies..

> >> Please accept the brpc podling into the Incubator.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave
> >>
> >> brpc Proposal
> >>

> >> Abstract
> >>
> >> brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-performance
services.

> >> Proposal
> >>
> >> We propose to contribute the brpc codebase and associated artifacts(e.g. documentation
etc.) to the Apache Software Foundation, and aim to build a wider open community around it
in the 'Apache Way'.

> >> Background
> >>
> >> The RPC framework used in Baidu before 2014 was developed at 2008 and limited
in protocols and performance, and there were also serveral implementations focused on their
own scenarios from Baidu's different BU. As an infrastructural team in Baidu, we tried to
build a new framework to unify all RPC scenarios inside. The framework was named "baidu-rpc"
internally the early versions were adopted and online at late 2014. The framework was rapidly
iterated at 2015-2017, and thousands kinds of services and almost all core services adopted
it. And in 2017, we opensourced it as "brpc" and hope to get more adoptions and contributions
from outside. At the time of opensourcing, there're more than 1 million instances inside Baidu
using baidu-rpc (not counting clients).

> >> Rationale
> >>
> >> brpc has been approved inside baidu, since many high performance core services
are using it. And since its open source, it has been adopted by several other companies, including
Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou, BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili>>
etc.

<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub>> (https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>
<https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>>) since 2017.

> >> Currently it has more than 7.3k stars, 1.6k forks, and is one of the most popular
repositories in topic of rpc category in GitHub <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub>> rpc catelogy. It has been widely used
in Baidu, with 1,000,000+ instances and thousands kinds of services. Besides, many other companies
have already used it also, such as Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou, BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili>> etc.

> >> Meritocracy
> >>
> >> brpc was originally created by Ge Jun and Chen zhangyi inside baidu from 2014.
Since its opensource in 2017, it has already followed meritocracy principles. It accepts multiple
contributions from other companies. And now, the core developers are from several different
companies.

> >> We will follow Apache way to encourage more developers to contribute in this
project. We know that only active and committed developers from a diverse set of backgrounds
can make brpc a successful project.

> >> Community
> >>
> >> brpc has been building an active community since its open source. Currently,
the community includes over 31 contributors. The core developers of brpc are listed below.

<https://github.com/jamesge>> jge666@gmail.com <mailto:jge666@gmail.com><mailto:jge666@gmail.com
<mailto:jge666@gmail.com>>)
<https://github.com/chenzhangyi <https://github.com/chenzhangyi>> frozen.zju@gmail.com
<mailto:frozen.zju@gmail.com><mailto:frozen.zju@gmail.com <mailto:frozen.zju@gmail.com>>)
<https://github.com/old-bear <https://github.com/old-bear>> jrjbear@gmail.com
<mailto:jrjbear@gmail.com><mailto:jrjbear@gmail.com <mailto:jrjbear@gmail.com>>)
<http://github.com/zyearn>> zhujiashun2010@gmail.com <mailto:zhujiashun2010@gmail.com><mailto:zhujiashun2010@gmail.com
<https://github.com/ipconfigme <https://github.com/ipconfigme>> ipconfigme@gmail.com
<mailto:ipconfigme@gmail.com><mailto:ipconfigme@gmail.com <mailto:ipconfigme@gmail.com>>)

> >> Alignment
> >>
> >> brpc is useful for building reliable and high-performance applications. Since
ASF has many famous performance-related and rpc-related projects, we believe that ASF is a
perfect choice to help brpc project to attract more developers and users as well as having
more cooperation with existing projects.

> >> Known Risks
> >>

> >> Orphaned products
> >>
> >> Since our core developers are from different companies and many companies are
using it, the risk of the project being abandoned is minimal. For example, Baidu is extensively
using it in their production environment and many large corporations including Iqiyi, Didi,
Sougou, BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili>>
use it in their production applications.

> >> Inexperience with Open Source
> >>
> >> brpc has been an active open source project for more than one year. During that
time, the project has attracted 30+ contributors and gained a lot of attention. The core developers
are all active users and followers of open source.

> >> Homogenous Developers
> >>
> >> brpc was created inside Baidu, but after brpc was open sourced, it received
a lot of bug fixes and enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu. And the core
developers now are from different companies now.

> >> Reliance on Salaried Developers
> >>
> >> Baidu invested in brpc as a general rpc framework used in company widely. The
core developers have been dedicated to this project for about four years. And after its open
source, developers around the world have involved in. Besides, we want more developers and
researchers to contribute to the project.

> >> Relationships with Other Apache Products
> >>

> >> A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
> >>
> >> The mission of brpc is to help developers build reliable and high-performance
services quickly and easily. It has been widely used in production environment throughout
Baidu and after opensource, it has gained much attention and attracted developers all over
the world. Apache Brand is very respected. We are very honored to have the opportunity to
join ASF, with the understanding that its brand policies being respected. And we hope Apache
can help us build the ecosystem around brpc and attract more developers.

<https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>> Issue Tracking:
https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues <https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues> <https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues
<https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues>> Overview: https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md
<https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md><https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md
<https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md>>

> >> Initial Source
> >>
> >> brpc has been developed since 2014 by a team of engineers at Baidu Inc. We currently
use Github to maintain our source code and track issues at https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>
<https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>>. We need to move
our repository to Apache infrastructure.

> >> Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan
> >>
> >> brpc source code is available under Apache V2 license and owned by Baidu. We
will work with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide a Software Grant Agreement
from an authorized signer per https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf
<https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf> <https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf
<https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf>>

> >> External Dependencies
> >>
> >> brpc has the following external dependencies.
> >>
> >> Google gflags (BSD)
> >> Google protobuf (BSD)
> >> Google leveldb (BSD)
> >>
> >> Required Resources
> >>

> >> Mailing List:
> >>
> >> There are currently no mailing lists. The usual mailing lists are expected to
be set up when entering incubation:

<mailto:private@brpc.incubator.apache.org <mailto:private@brpc.incubator.apache.org>>
<mailto:commits@brpc.incubator.apache.org <mailto:commits@brpc.incubator.apache.org>>

to Apache infrastructure like https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc <https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc><https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc>>.

> >> Issue Tracking:
> >>
> >> brpc currently uses GitHub <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub>>
to track issues. Would like to continue to do so while we discuss migration possibilities
with the ASF Infra committee.

> >> Currently brpc has no dedicated website except Github homepage. In the future
the website url should be http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/ <http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/>
<http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/ <http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/>> to follow
apache incubator conventions.