From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Voting in new IPMC members
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 09:35:32 GMT
Hi,

> To me the ultimate reference is
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html - decisions are made by
> consensus (*) which can be expressed by a majority vote with a least
> three +1s, and vetoes are only valid for code changes.

That page has a few issues IMO, for starters it not clear what "procedural issue” actually
are or if it includes voting in PMC/committers or not. This has been discussed many times
and changes suggested to be made to that page but none made. I was going to suggest some after
discussion on the default guidelines thread on the board list.

Other pages [1] list consensus approval, as do a lot of project guidelines, including probably
the HTTP one which states "approved by consensus of the active Apache PMC members”. I think
some of this is confusion between what consensus means and consensus voting mean (or more
correctly consensus approval) [2] (i.e. 3+1s and no -1’s.)

But perhaps this old (and perhaps familiar?) thread will help [3], particular this email [4]
and the solution from the email [5] :-) There are other threads (newer and older) that come
to the same conclusion.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#discussion