From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Some early stage questions
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 20:30:36 GMT

> On 5 Nov 2018, at 19:31, Jacques BasaldĂșa <jacques@dybot.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to formulate a proposal to the ASF incubator. After spending some time browsing
the website, I still have a few novice questions I wish to share with you.

> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html states: "Before starting on the
formal proposal, recruit a Champion.", how can I do that?

Ideally you know someone from Apache who has taken an interest in your project.
Or if it relates to an existing Apache project(s), that could be somewhere to look.
Failing that, try and interest someone here.

> 2. I don't have a sponsor. I have been dedicating almost 2000 hours in 2018 (on top of
my day job) to this project started end of 2016. At that time, the project was developed in
a corporation that open sourced it under an Apache License in Dec 2017. As I understand it,
the incubator is about building (or failing to build) a community around a project. Does that
meet your expectations?

It may do: it depends on your potential for building a community.  Is your project visible
-
e.g. public repos and website?  Can you show evidence of public interest in it?

Your level of committment there might risk burnout in a few years!

> 3. The project is under refactoring to an ambitious long term goal. I do not have an
MVP, but it has good documentation and software engineering practices including: unit testing,
static and dynamic analysis tools, building automation, etc. I expect the jury and candidates
to be comfortable with unfinished projects and decide on the vision and the code. Does that
make sense or is it too early?

That would be matters for your project community.

> I think my questions should be common. If you agree, I volunteer to contribute the answers
to the website to help others boarding on the incubator.

That's a Very Good Way to earn goodwill around here, if you come out of the process
with a clear vision for better docs.

--
Nick Kew