From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: licenses and copyrights of dependencies
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2018 20:23:33 GMT
Hi,

> we need to include licenses of all components shipped in an artifact. The example just
appends all licenses to the LICENSE file including the copyrights. Is the copyright required?

If the license include it and the terms of the license say so then yes. This applied to common
permissive licenses like MIT and BSD.

> Shouldn't the copyright be appended to the NOTICE file instead?

In general no, only relocated copywriter statements (i.e those removed from source headers)
need to be in NOTICE. This is usually the company listed in the software grant to the ASF.

> Also we found that some artifacts have contradicting or missing licenses e.g. in the
pom of one artifact a BSD clause 2 license is mentioned but no LICENSE files are shipped in
the jars, however the source contains a BSD clause 3 license.

Often you find extra things bundled inside under different licenses so they must be included
as well. For example jQuery included MIT licensed Sizzle.js.

Thanks,
Justin