From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Some early stage questions
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2018 19:59:29 GMT
Hi Jacques,

Welcome to the Apache Incubator.

> On Nov 5, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Jacques Basaldúa <jacques@dybot.com> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to formulate a proposal to the ASF incubator. After spending some time browsing
the website, I still have a few novice questions I wish to share with you.

> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html states: "Before starting on the
formal proposal, recruit a Champion.", how can I do that?

Asking on this email list is one way to do it. A Champion will be someone who is an Apache
Member and understands how to create the Proposal.

> 2. I don't have a sponsor. I have been dedicating almost 2000 hours in 2018 (on top of
my day job) to this project started end of 2016. At that time, the project was developed in
a corporation that open sourced it under an Apache License in Dec 2017. As I understand it,
the incubator is about building (or failing to build) a community around a project. Does that
meet your expectations?

Do you have others already working with you on your open source project? Incubation works
best when there is an existing community involved in the code base.

Tell us about your project and where the code may be found.

> 3. The project is under refactoring to an ambitious long term goal. I do not have an
MVP, but it has good documentation and software engineering practices including: unit testing,
static and dynamic analysis tools, building automation, etc. I expect the jury and candidates
to be comfortable with unfinished projects and decide on the vision and the code. Does that
make sense or is it too early?

That all depends. The ASF does not provide technical guidance. The Apache Way emphasizes developing
a sustainable Community along with Permissively Licensed software that can always be used
for the public good.

> I think my questions should be common. If you agree, I volunteer to contribute the answers
to the website to help others boarding on the incubator.

While I can agree that the documentation for the Incubator can be improved, let’s focus
on your proposal first.

Regards,
Dave