incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jacques Basaldúa <jacq...@dybot.com>
Subject RE: Some early stage questions
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2018 19:05:37 GMT
Hi Dave, Nick and everyone,

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

The original project was built by a team and released under an Apache License. As originally
designed, it has no activity now. For the moment, I am alone in the pivoting the code released
into a new idea. I am an original author. The updated public website will be in github + github
pages very soon. In two weeks I have the first presentation at an event in Spain were I try
to explain why it matters to me and that, of course, we need a community to make it happen.
I will promote it in similar events: C++, R and Python Meetups in Madrid. My concern here
is: 1. do I meet the requirements or should I wait for, say, one year, 2. how to present it
to the ASF. Of course, I consider reaching the Apache Incubator the number one place to make
the project visible and maximize the chance of success.

>From what I understand from your replies: It is not impossible to submit a proposal for
an incomplete project and neither is it a requirement to have a sponsor. The way to present
it is: just share what I have and, if an ASF member wants to champion the project, then I
will get advice on how to formalize a proposal for voting.

Is that correct?

I have been working really hard on the documentation in the last two months and I am almost
done. The current public documentation is very incomplete. Please, allow me to share it with
you when I merge the new version, as mentioned, in less than two weeks.

Thanks again,

Jacques.

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Nick Kew [mailto:niq@apache.org] 
Enviado el: Monday, November 05, 2018 9:31 PM
Para: general@incubator.apache.org
Asunto: Re: Some early stage questions


> On 5 Nov 2018, at 19:31, Jacques Basaldúa <jacques@dybot.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi everyone,
> 
> I would like to formulate a proposal to the ASF incubator. After spending some time browsing
the website, I still have a few novice questions I wish to share with you.
> 
> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html states: "Before starting on the
formal proposal, recruit a Champion.", how can I do that?

Ideally you know someone from Apache who has taken an interest in your project.
Or if it relates to an existing Apache project(s), that could be somewhere to look.
Failing that, try and interest someone here.  

> 2. I don't have a sponsor. I have been dedicating almost 2000 hours in 2018 (on top of
my day job) to this project started end of 2016. At that time, the project was developed in
a corporation that open sourced it under an Apache License in Dec 2017. As I understand it,
the incubator is about building (or failing to build) a community around a project. Does that
meet your expectations?

It may do: it depends on your potential for building a community.  Is your project visible
-
e.g. public repos and website?  Can you show evidence of public interest in it?

Your level of committment there might risk burnout in a few years!

> 3. The project is under refactoring to an ambitious long term goal. I do not have an
MVP, but it has good documentation and software engineering practices including: unit testing,
static and dynamic analysis tools, building automation, etc. I expect the jury and candidates
to be comfortable with unfinished projects and decide on the vision and the code. Does that
make sense or is it too early?

That would be matters for your project community.

> I think my questions should be common. If you agree, I volunteer to contribute the answers
to the website to help others boarding on the incubator.

That's a Very Good Way to earn goodwill around here, if you come out of the process
with a clear vision for better docs.

-- 
Nick Kew
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net] 
Enviado el: Monday, November 05, 2018 8:59 PM
Para: general@incubator.apache.org
Asunto: Re: Some early stage questions

Hi Jacques,

Welcome to the Apache Incubator.

> On Nov 5, 2018, at 11:31 AM, Jacques Basaldúa <jacques@dybot.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi everyone,
> 
> I would like to formulate a proposal to the ASF incubator. After spending some time browsing
the website, I still have a few novice questions I wish to share with you.
> 
> 1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html states: "Before starting on the
formal proposal, recruit a Champion.", how can I do that?

Asking on this email list is one way to do it. A Champion will be someone who is an Apache
Member and understands how to create the Proposal.

> 
> 2. I don't have a sponsor. I have been dedicating almost 2000 hours in 2018 (on top of
my day job) to this project started end of 2016. At that time, the project was developed in
a corporation that open sourced it under an Apache License in Dec 2017. As I understand it,
the incubator is about building (or failing to build) a community around a project. Does that
meet your expectations?

Do you have others already working with you on your open source project? Incubation works
best when there is an existing community involved in the code base.

Tell us about your project and where the code may be found.

> 3. The project is under refactoring to an ambitious long term goal. I do not have an
MVP, but it has good documentation and software engineering practices including: unit testing,
static and dynamic analysis tools, building automation, etc. I expect the jury and candidates
to be comfortable with unfinished projects and decide on the vision and the code. Does that
make sense or is it too early?

That all depends. The ASF does not provide technical guidance. The Apache Way emphasizes developing
a sustainable Community along with Permissively Licensed software that can always be used
for the public good. 

> 
> I think my questions should be common. If you agree, I volunteer to contribute the answers
to the website to help others boarding on the incubator.

While I can agree that the documentation for the Incubator can be improved, let’s focus
on your proposal first.

Regards,
Dave

> 
> Thanks.
> 
> Jacques Basaldúa
> 
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
> 


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message