From "吴晟 Sheng Wu" <wu.sh...@foxmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2018 10:06:14 GMT
Hi Justin

From my personal perspective, I have some answers from the status I known.

> - There still doesn’t seem to be a lot of discussion on the development list.
SkyWalking discussion shows up in GitHub issues according to our developers/contributors habits.
They are tagged as question, bug, enhancement etc. based on the content. As we mentioned,
240+ Issues tagged as question[4] in GitHub created, 236 resolved.

- The initial PMC list doesn’t include all fo the current PPMC and committers on the roster
(and I cannot see any discussion about this).
This has been proposed in discussion[1] ml, specific this one[2]

> - A search of the private list show only one PPMC added past the initial commuter list
and they were added without NOTICE being sent (and only corrected when I pointed it out).
Yes, that is correct. The community decided to accept him. But number of contributors grows
well, from less than 20 to near 70 just in main repo.

> - The podling roster lists both PPMC and committers [1], including people not on the
initial list [2], but I’m unable to find any discussion or votes to why they were added.
That is because SkyWalking has the community, and its PMC and committer teams before join
the incubator[3]. We keep that as same as before, in order to avoid more concerns.

> - Has a software grant been received or IP clearance happened?
The SGA is not required from my understanding. This project is my personal project, and then
belong to OpenSkywalking org which is just a virtual org in GitHub.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/4ee8894c99275ee0f14fcdb250a66ef9d22a7ba87742fa613897849f@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/eb4f1c68ad475ce36456f248af6f7fabc1e6b3d4cb6de5d9d7d41063@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E
[3] https://github.com/OpenSkywalking/Organization#organization-members
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+label%3Aquestion+

------------------
Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From:  "justin"<justin@classsoftware.com>;
Date:  Tue, Oct 30, 2018 05:41 PM
To:  "general"<general@incubator.apache.org>;

Subject:  Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP

Hi,

I think that perhaps that SkyWalking may need to stay a little longer in the incubator as:
- There still doesn’t seem to be a lot of discussion on the development list.
- The initial PMC list doesn’t include all fo the current PPMC and committers on the roster
(and I cannot see any discussion about this).
- A search of the private list show only one PPMC added past the initial commuter list and
they were added without NOTICE being sent (and only corrected when I pointed it out).
- The podling roster lists both PPMC and committers [1], including people not on the initial
list [2], but I’m unable to find any discussion or votes to why they were added.
- Has a software grant been received or IP clearance happened?

Now I could be mistaken in the above, not searched deeply enough or there’s a perfectly
good reason for why this may be so.

I would be interested to hear what the mentors of the project have to say on this and if they
think the project is ready to graduate given the above.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/skywalking
2. https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/SkyWalkingProposal