From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Getting through the hoops
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2018 08:29:33 GMT
On 10/16/2018 10:25 AM, Serge Huber wrote:

> Actually I think there is a lot of documentation and in itself it can be a bit daunting.
Also for the committer request, it would be great if it could be streamlined by doing some
kind of online form but there is the question of the digital signature that might be an issue.

Thinking out loud here...what if we made a form that better explains
things and checks if the userid is available etc, and then it generates
a PDF to review/sign with all the fields filled out?

> Also, some of the optional fields such as the Apache ID or the project name should maybe
be explained as less than optional. I’ve had the problem recently that committers filled
the ICLA without the optional fields, and then the secretary asked for the ID and the project
name. So this is putting additional work on the secretary which could be avoided.

> In other words, it’s not that hard when you know the process, but when you’re learning
it and want to do the right thing by not bothering mentors for everything, I think it is less
straightforward than setting up an account on Github, which I think is what a lot of people
are comparing the experience too (at least that’s the feedback I get usually).