From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Mentors wanted for Apache Annotator (incubating)
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2018 17:13:24 GMT
Hi all!

We've recently had several mentors bow out of mentoring due to their other responsibilities
becoming more pressing. Consequently, we're looking to add 2-3 more folks who can help us
navigate the Incubator process.

http://annotator.apache.org/ has more information if you're new to the project.

Our greatest incubator related hurdle is wrangling a scattered community from across the Web
into the welcoming arms of our project. :) We're building tooling around the W3C's Web Annotation
specifications [1] and writing browser and server code to eventually replace much of the tooling
originally provided by Annotator.js [2]. However, our goal is *not* to ship a full UX for
doing annotation, but rather a set of tools to enable developers to ship annotation capabilities
within their applications.

You can read more about our project on our Proposal page:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Proposal

We hope to eventually be able to liaison with many other Apache Top-Level Projects to add
annotation capabilities to their systems for machine learning, linked data, and natural language
processing (search, indexing, etc).

Help wanted! :)

Much thanks!
Benjamin