From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Mentors wanted for Apache Annotator (incubating)
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2018 14:43:54 GMT
Don't everybody sign-up at once, k?! ;-P

We're a pretty easy-to-mentor project, fwiw. Two of our PPMC members are experienced committers
to the Apache CouchDB project. We mostly need help with signing off on board reports, helping
expand the reach and interest (within Apache mostly) of the Apache Annotator (incubating)
project.

Nick has been a fabulous mentor (as were his overly-busy predecessors), but we can't run on
just his singular amazingness...which is where *you* come in. :)

Please volunteer just a bit of your time to help us navigate the halls of the ASF.

Thanks!
Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

________________________________
From: Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>
Sent: Friday, October 5, 2018 1:13 PM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Mentors wanted for Apache Annotator (incubating)

Hi all!

We've recently had several mentors bow out of mentoring due to their other responsibilities
becoming more pressing. Consequently, we're looking to add 2-3 more folks who can help us
navigate the Incubator process.

http://annotator.apache.org/ has more information if you're new to the project.

Our greatest incubator related hurdle is wrangling a scattered community from across the Web
into the welcoming arms of our project. :) We're building tooling around the W3C's Web Annotation
specifications [1] and writing browser and server code to eventually replace much of the tooling
originally provided by Annotator.js [2]. However, our goal is *not* to ship a full UX for
doing annotation, but rather a set of tools to enable developers to ship annotation capabilities
within their applications.

You can read more about our project on our Proposal page:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/wiki/Proposal

We hope to eventually be able to liaison with many other Apache Top-Level Projects to add
annotation capabilities to their systems for machine learning, linked data, and natural language
processing (search, indexing, etc).

Help wanted! :)

Much thanks!
Benjamin