From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] bprc proposal
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2018 14:38:17 GMT
Sorry about that I missed the topic autocorrection.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 24, 2018, at 9:15 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> I would like to discuss accepting bprc project into the Incubator:
> Initially there were five developers from Baidu, but now these are from several companies..
>
> Please accept the brpc podling into the Incubator.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> brpc Proposal
>

> Abstract
>
> brpc is an industrial-grade RPC framework for building reliable and high-performance
services.

> Proposal
>
> We propose to contribute the brpc codebase and associated artifacts(e.g. documentation
etc.) to the Apache Software Foundation, and aim to build a wider open community around it
in the 'Apache Way'.

> Background
>
> The RPC framework used in Baidu before 2014 was developed at 2008 and limited in protocols
and performance, and there were also serveral implementations focused on their own scenarios
from Baidu's different BU. As an infrastructural team in Baidu, we tried to build a new framework
to unify all RPC scenarios inside. The framework was named "baidu-rpc" internally the early
versions were adopted and online at late 2014. The framework was rapidly iterated at 2015-2017,
and thousands kinds of services and almost all core services adopted it. And in 2017, we opensourced
it as "brpc" and hope to get more adoptions and contributions from outside. At the time of
opensourcing, there're more than 1 million instances inside Baidu using baidu-rpc (not counting
clients).

> Rationale
>
> brpc has been approved inside baidu, since many high performance core services are using
it. And since its open source, it has been adopted by several other companies, including Iqiyi,
Didi, Sougou, BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili> etc.

(https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>) since 2017.

> Currently it has more than 7.3k stars, 1.6k forks, and is one of the most popular repositories
in topic of rpc category in GitHub <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub> rpc catelogy.
It has been widely used in Baidu, with 1,000,000+ instances and thousands kinds of services.
Besides, many other companies have already used it also, such as Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou, BiliBili
<https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili> etc.

> Meritocracy
>
> brpc was originally created by Ge Jun and Chen zhangyi inside baidu from 2014. Since
its opensource in 2017, it has already followed meritocracy principles. It accepts multiple
contributions from other companies. And now, the core developers are from several different
companies.

> We will follow Apache way to encourage more developers to contribute in this project.
We know that only active and committed developers from a diverse set of backgrounds can make
brpc a successful project.

> Community
>
> brpc has been building an active community since its open source. Currently, the community
includes over 31 contributors. The core developers of brpc are listed below.

<mailto:zhujiashun2010@gmail.com>)
> Wang Yao(https://github.com/ipconfigme <https://github.com/ipconfigme> ipconfigme@gmail.com
<mailto:ipconfigme@gmail.com>)

> Alignment
>
> brpc is useful for building reliable and high-performance applications. Since ASF has
many famous performance-related and rpc-related projects, we believe that ASF is a perfect
choice to help brpc project to attract more developers and users as well as having more cooperation
with existing projects.

> Known Risks
>

> Orphaned products
>
> Since our core developers are from different companies and many companies are using it,
the risk of the project being abandoned is minimal. For example, Baidu is extensively using
it in their production environment and many large corporations including Iqiyi, Didi, Sougou,
BiliBili <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BiliBili> use it in their production applications.

> Inexperience with Open Source
>
> brpc has been an active open source project for more than one year. During that time,
the project has attracted 30+ contributors and gained a lot of attention. The core developers
are all active users and followers of open source.

> Homogenous Developers
>
> brpc was created inside Baidu, but after brpc was open sourced, it received a lot of
bug fixes and enhancements from other developers not working at Baidu. And the core developers
now are from different companies now.

> Reliance on Salaried Developers
>
> Baidu invested in brpc as a general rpc framework used in company widely. The core developers
have been dedicated to this project for about four years. And after its open source, developers
around the world have involved in. Besides, we want more developers and researchers to contribute
to the project.

> Relationships with Other Apache Products
>

> A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand
>
> The mission of brpc is to help developers build reliable and high-performance services
quickly and easily. It has been widely used in production environment throughout Baidu and
after opensource, it has gained much attention and attracted developers all over the world.
Apache Brand is very respected. We are very honored to have the opportunity to join ASF, with
the understanding that its brand policies being respected. And we hope Apache can help us
build the ecosystem around brpc and attract more developers.

Issue Tracking: https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues <https://github.com/brpc/brpc/issues>
Overview: https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md <https://github.com/brpc/brpc/blob/master/docs/en/overview.md>

> Initial Source
>
> brpc has been developed since 2014 by a team of engineers at Baidu Inc. We currently
use Github to maintain our source code and track issues at https://github.com/brpc/brpc <https://github.com/brpc/brpc>.
We need to move our repository to Apache infrastructure.

> Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan
>
> brpc source code is available under Apache V2 license and owned by Baidu. We will work
with the committers to get ICLAs signed. We will provide a Software Grant Agreement from an
authorized signer per https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf <https://www.apache.org/licenses/software-grant-template.pdf>

<https://github.com/brpc/brpc> to Apache infrastructure like https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-brpc>.

> Issue Tracking:
>
> brpc currently uses GitHub <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/GitHub> to track
issues. Would like to continue to do so while we discuss migration possibilities with the
ASF Infra committee.

> Currently brpc has no dedicated website except Github homepage. In the future the website
url should be http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/ <http://brpc.incubator.apache.org/>
to follow apache incubator conventions.