From "吴晟 Sheng Wu" <wu.sh...@foxmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 01:50:48 GMT
Hi, Justin,

First of all, there is a direct link to that build page, in README of master and 5.x branches.
See
https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking#compiling-project
We have both links to document and compiling guide.

Besides that, because many users are using git clone tag as sources too, although in Apache,
we consider our source tar only. But in the community, they really use in another way, in
our github issue, many compiling issue, even after we put this detailed guide.

Background story is, in our project repository, we are using git submodule, so we need the
guide as detailed as possible. Such as git submodule init, git submodule update, etc.

That is why we build a long guide abouy how to build for convenience users.

Sheng Wu
Apache SkyWalking

From Wu Sheng 's phone.

From: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
Date: Sun,Sep 9,2018 9:26 AM
To: general <general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2

Hi,

> Check our two major code branches,
> - master https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking

In which README no longer contains any build instruction or direct pointers to them. I don’t
think this is an improvement.

So now I need to stop looking at the terminal, open up a browser, goto GitHub and look at
the README.md there. I need to know to click on “Documents”, one page into that content,
then read through two pages before finding a link on building, click on that and then read
how to build from GitHub (not what I want) and then finally find after that it’s a single
line "./mvnw clean package -DskipTests”. Why not just put that single line in the README?

> - 5.x https://github.com/apache/incubator-skywalking/tree/5.x

As above.

Thanks,
Justin