From Ignasi Barrera <n...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache SkyWalking (incubating) version 5.0.0-RC2
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2018 17:19:30 GMT
That's why I meant when I said finding the build instructions was
trivial enough that I thought it should not block a release.

The README contains a clear link to the Documentation (which is a link
to a local file), and that file is a very comprehensive index with
direct links to architecture, testing, building, etc. Even if the
compiling link is broken it is so trivial to find the build
instructions that I find the comment "unable to build from source" a
bit strict.

I mean, people used to build from source often have a file describing
the typical "./configure && make && make install", and often have to
spend some time reading through the different configure options to
properly configure the software for their platform. It is OK and
usually assumed that building from source will get some time, and I
find this concrete case to be very trivial. It is just an inconvenient
broken link, that has a proper replacement that is trivial to find.

This said, (and I'm asking for some advice here as it's the first
project I help mentoring) I think we should not block the release for
this reason and I'd vote +1, but I don't know if the IPMC vote is more
targetted to non-mentors, which could have a potentially different
perspective of the project just by overseeing it from the distance.

On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 at 10:47, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Justin, given that the next release will provide this information so clearly from
the base directory, knowing that the next release will be in order, are you ok with letting
this release pass through?