From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does Zipkin need to sign a SGA ?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2018 01:25:07 GMT
There was a process involved at Twitter when we first moved it to the
openzipkin organization. It was 100% clear that this was an act for
the community to control the code.  Senior management were involved
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/zipkin-user/fbOgEZpuQx4/bWH1-__EmCoJ

After that, all the repositories had contributing files like the below
indicating that all changes we to be redistributable under ASL
https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/blob/master/.github/CONTRIBUTING.md#license

There was no collection of contributor agreements beyond this. Most of
the code except save some UI assets have been completely rewritten
since the migration to OpenZipkin a few years back.

Hope these details help,
-A
On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:09 AM Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> tldr; with my Incubator PMC hat on, "all that needs to be done" is to establish that
all of the copyright owners sign either a Software Grant or an ICLA.

> In order to establish that Apache has the rights to the code base, every line of code
needs to have its provenance researched.

> Looking at the proposal https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ZipkinProposal it seems like
most of the code is in the github repository https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin . Is there
any code coming from another source? Was the original code from Twitter granted to OpenZipkin?
Is there any documentation of that copyright transfer? Does Twitter retain any rights?

that the only committers to the project are listed at https://github.com/openzipkin/zipkin/graphs/contributors
?

> The proposal also says that "All source code is copyrighted to 'The OpenZipkin Authors',
to which the existing core community(members list in Initial Committers) has the rights to
re-assign to the ASF. "

> It looks like there were many people who contributed a few lines of code. Did they sign
anything like a Contributor Agreement that grants their copyright to The OpenZipkin Authors?

> Craig
>
> > On Sep 18, 2018, at 4:58 PM, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:
> >

> > It's come up that the migration of the github Zipkin repositories to ASF requires
either a signed SGA or a sign-off from the Secretary. Chris raised this on `INFRA-16989 –
Zipkin incubator project request for the GitHub repositories moving service`.

> > I was under the impression that if the Copyright was already held by the community,
it is held by 'The OpenZipkin Authors', that the ICLA from all those authors would suffice
and a SGA not be required. And it's news to me that this would also require a sign-off from
the ASF Secretary.