From Willem Jiang <willem.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mentor capactity of the incubator
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2018 15:26:35 GMT
Hi

>From my podling experience,  it's really hard for a new podling
project to find a mentor by himself, so sometime new podling project
just ask help in the mailing list.
The warm hearted mentors who response the mail will be put put into
the podling proposal, and we never ask them about if they have time to
perform the duty of mentor.
Maybe we can setup a reminder email once the mentor is adding to the
podling project to let him know about the role, duties, and how much
time he need to put into the Podling project. In this way, we may
reduce the inactive mentor situations in the future.

But how much time do we need to spend for mentoring the project. From
my experience, there are some work for the project initial setup and
release mentoring, but other time,the mentor just need to keep an eye
on the project and response the question from Podling projects.  But
it could be different from project to project, so please add your
comments here.

BTW, it's hard for the podling project to ask for release checking as
there are only few IPMC members vote the release kit. If we talk about
the Mentor capacity, IMO we need to take this issue into
consideration.

Willem Jiang

Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 3:18 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a large number of IPMC members (280+). I wondering if any IPMC members could
indicate if they have any capacity/free cycles and a willingness for mentoring projects. It
looks like we are going to have a number of inactive mentors step down in the near future
and we may end up with some podlings only having one or two mentors. Three mentors seems to
the the number that works best.

> Of course I understand it may have to be the right sort of project, but I’m just trying
the gauge the current mentor capacity of the incubator, so if you think you could be a mentor
if the right project came along then please indicate it here.

> For IPMC members who are unable to be a mentor I’m curious to know what the reasons
are, I’m sure that “not having the time" is probably the number one reason, but are is
there any thing else stopping member (in particular first time ones) from coming forward and
volunteering?

> The mentor capacity we have may in the future have an impact on if and how often we accept
new podlings. I'd hate to turn away podlings, but if we can’t effectively mentor them I’m
not sure what else we can do. anyone have any ideas?